W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-prov-wg@w3.org > March 2012

Re: PROV-ISSUE-311 (clarify-optionals): Clarify optional arguments in DM [prov-dm]

From: Luc Moreau <l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:12:34 +0100
Message-ID: <EMEW3|e945b831ffbea25ed256893632be3663o2YGCb08l.moreau|ecs.soton.ac.uk|4F75CD62.5020205@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

Hi Stian,

I have been thinking about your suggestion on optional arguments.
I looked at all the optional arguments [1] in prov-dm.

Most of them, I believe, imply  existential quantification.

It would be nice to have this confirmed, and then we can write it up in 
part 2.

Luc

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/optional.html

On 13/03/2012 11:05, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> PROV-ISSUE-311 (clarify-optionals): Clarify optional arguments in DM [prov-dm]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/311
>
> Raised by: Stian Soiland-Reyes
> On product: prov-dm
>
> There seems to be some confusion over any of the 'optional' arguments in
> PROV-DM/PROV-N.
>
> It is unclear if this means that the argument is *implied* (ie.
> existential quantification/bnodes in OWL/RDF) or not applicable/not present (NIL).
>
> It might be good to go through all of the optionals in PROV-DM and make sure they make that clear.
>
> For instance:
>    
>> Generation, written wasGeneratedBy(id,e,a,t,attrs) in PROV-N, has the following components:
>> id: an optional identifier for a generation;
>> entity: an identifier for a created entity;
>> activity: an optional identifier for the activity that creates the entity;
>> time: an optional "generation time", the time at which the entity was completely created;
>> attributes: an optional set of attribute-value pairs that describes the modalities of generation of this entity by this activity.
>>      
> Change to:
>
>
>    
>> Generation, written wasGeneratedBy(id,e,a,t,attrs) in PROV-N, has the following components:
>> id: an optional identifier for a generation, if unspecified the identifier is not known;
>> entity: an identifier for a created entity;
>> activity: an optional identifier for the activity that creates the entity, if unspecified activity is still implied, but unknown;
>> time: an optional "generation time", the time at which the entity was completely created, if unspecified the time is unknown or not applicable;
>> attributes: an optional set of attribute-value pairs that describes the modalities of generation of this entity by this activity, if unspecified an empty set is implied.
>>      
>
>
>
>    
Received on Friday, 30 March 2012 15:13:09 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 13:06:59 GMT