Re: PROV-ISSUE-29 (mutual-iVP-of): can two bobs be mutually "IVP of" each other [Conceptual Model]

Luc

On 3/26/12 2:54 PM, Luc Moreau wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for your very useful suggestions.
>
> I have drafted a revised section in a separate file
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/working-copy/wd5-prov-dm-alternate.html
>
> Does capture what has been discussed so far?
I think so. To me it is important that when we say
" They are both specialization of an (unspecified) entity." eg in the first example, it is clear that there no obligation to say
anything about the common entity that they specialize. This, however, contrasts with the definition itself:
" An entity isalternateof another if they are both a specialization of some common entity."
It is not clear what to make of this defining property of alternates -- it gives an existential condition which is not actionable in
general. So to me this is potentially confusing.

> Also, if specialization(a,b) is it the case that alternateOf(a,b)?
no. I recall that we've been there before. At some point there was a discussion on specialization having a "top" and being
transitive and therefore, with this additional inferences, everything would collapse.

Regards,
   -Paolo

--
Paolo Missier - Paolo.Missier@newcastle.ac.uk, pmissier@acm.org