Re: PROV-ISSUE-29 (mutual-iVP-of): can two bobs be mutually "IVP of" each other [Conceptual Model]

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 16:44, Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu> wrote:

> Proposed:
> alternativeOf: An entity is alternate of another if they specialize a common
> Entity.

..  "specialize *some* common Entity" - we don't need to know which one it is.

>From this definition alternativeOf is both reflective (entity(a) =>
alternativeOf(a,a) ) and  symmetric (alternativeOf(a,b) =>
alternativeOf(b,a)), but not neccessarily transitive
(alternativeOf(a,b);  alternativeOf(b,c)  does not imply
alternativeOf(a,c) - does A and C necessarily have a common
specialization of parent?

> specializationOf: An entity is a specialization of another if they both
> denote a common thing, but the former is a more constrained denotation than
> the former. Examples of denotational constraint may include: abstraction,
> context, and roles the entity has.

What prevents everything from being a specializationOf say
atomsInTheUniverse or thingsThatExists - and making everything
alternativeOf each other? The "common thing" saves us? :)

We no longer require alternativesOf to have overlapping
characterizations, right? What about attributes on a specializationOf
parent and their characterization intervals? All gone?

.. not sure if we should include "roles" here as it would be confusing
with prov:hadRole (the old EntityInRole discussion).

The current example of Bob with Facebook account is not very good. Why
would bobWithFacebook be an alternative of bobWithTwitter? Just
because they share bob as a parent specialization? Why would you form
such entities?

The BBC News home page today is a specialization of the BBC home page.
That could be a good one.

The BBC news home page today is a specialization of the BBC news page
in general. BBC does not provide a URI for a given day's news page, so
we mint our own:

specializationOf(bbcNews2012-03-23, <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/>)

The mobile news page is an alternative of the desktop news page. They
are both specialization of (here unspecified) entity.

alternativeOf(<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/>, <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/>)

The mobile news page of today is a specialization of the mobile news page:

specializationOf(bbcNewsMobile2012-03-23, <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/>)

This implies (as /news/mobile and /news/ have a common specialization):

alternativeOf(bbcNews2012-03-23, bbcNewsMobile2012-03-23)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science