PROV-ISSUE-300 (TLebo): Quote vs Quotation (Involvement versus Activity) [mapping prov-dm <-> prov-o]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 14:59:18 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
PROV-ISSUE-300 (TLebo): Quote vs Quotation (Involvement versus Activity) [mapping prov-dm <-> prov-o]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/300

Raised by: Stian Soiland-Reyes
On product: mapping prov-dm <-> prov-o

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvRDF#Quotation

uses a subclass of Involvement called Quotation. Stian asks if we should have a class "Quote" for the derived Entity, which we omitted to avoid confusion (which is the Involvement and which is the Entity?)

The definition of Quotation seems to confuse with Quote as being the resulting Entity.

Further, the Quotation as it stands could be viewed as an activity of the quoter extracting some text, so how is an Involvement different from an Activity?

It should be noted that Quotation is a common relation and a shortcut, but it seems odd that it does not reduce to the core.

-Tim