Re: PROV-ISSUE-239 (TLebo): is wasGeneratedBy(e) meaningful? [prov-dm]

From: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 20:25:59 -0500
To: Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>

On Feb 6, 2012, at 7:56 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 21:43, Daniel Garijo
> <dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es> wrote:
>
>> you may want to say that an entity has been created and assert some metadata
>> about the creation (hour,
>> location, etc.), but not want/know which activity produced it. That is why
>> everything can optional but the entity.
>
> This is a valid explanation, however then you have still included the
> time or the attributes, and not covering Tim's question.
>

> However, I don't see any reason why we need to spend effort making
> wasGeneratedBy(e) 'forbidden' -

(ignoring all all above)

> it could still be used with a note if
> someone wants to give metadata about the generation (say why the
> activity and time could not be recorded!)

Stian! This is a great motivation for Notes!

@luc, paulo: Could the DM mention this in the discussion for Notes?

I think the disagreement in ISSUE-260 could be settled by saying:

* Notes are annotations from the asserter of the assertions they are currently making, while
* bundles are used to annotate assertions others have previously made.

Regards,
Tim