Re: Contextualization ---> Optional bundle in Specialization

On Jun 28, 2012, at 6:59 AM, Timothy Lebo wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2012, at 6:57 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>
>> On 27/06/2012 22:21, Luc Moreau wrote:
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> ex:Bob refers to a single resource in this example.
>>> The interpretation of ex:Bob does not change according to the graph it occurs in.
>>
>> Quite.  So what basis is there for claiming that two specializations of ex:Bob are somehow distinct,
>
> One doesn't know whether the specializations are distinct or if they are unique.
> We do know that they are prov:alternates :-)
>
>> and that inferences that are true for one such specialization are not true for the other?
>
> We don't, since we can't prove identity or distinctness.

Yes, (just to butt into this subthread), I'm afraid I agree that Graham's reasoning is faulty there.  At a meta-level, given:

specializationOf(a,c)
specializationOf(b,c)

Sure, anything we can prove (i.e. not much) about a, we could also prove about b, since they're indistinguishable; but we can't prove a = b because of this. It's possible for the two statements to hold in a model where a = b or in a model where a \neq b (they must be alternates of course).

--James

> -Tim
>

>> #g
>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.