Re: PROV-ISSUE-432 (post-or-get): Is http get the correct form for the provenance service [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

Hi Jim,

Completely agree. But it is unclear whether our access definition
implies that side effects are created. I don't think it does but it
needs to be checked.

Paul

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker
> <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> PROV-ISSUE-432 (post-or-get): Is http get the correct form for the
>> provenance service [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

>> Raised by: Paul Groth
>> On product: Accessing and Querying Provenance
>>
>> According to REST principles one should not create side-effects when using
>> GET. The question is does this apply to provenance-service.
>>
>> Also, should POST be supported as well as GET in the provenance service.
>

> To start: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/630453/put-vs-post-in-rest
>
> GETs should never have side effects. GET is only used for access. POST is to
> perform an operation (I prefer them to be idempotent, as in SADI, but that's
> not a REST requirement). Updates and deletes should be handled via UPDATE
> and DELETE respectively. Our users will be far less confused if we keep
> these separate.
>
> Using GET only for access and PUT'ting, UPDATE'ing, and DELETE'ing (with the
> option of auth, of course) against that URL is also much kinder to linked
> data.
>
> Jim
> --
> Jim McCusker
> Programmer Analyst
> Krauthammer Lab, Pathology Informatics
> Yale School of Medicine
> james.mccusker@yale.edu | (203) 785-6330
> http://krauthammerlab.med.yale.edu
>
> PhD Student
> Tetherless World Constellation
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
> mccusj@cs.rpi.edu
> http://tw.rpi.edu

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam