Re: prov:Dictionary example - without the specs

Hi Tim,

Comment below.

On 06/06/12 20:53, Timothy Lebo wrote:
> Luc,
>
> On Jun 6, 2012, at 3:37 PM, Luc Moreau wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> It's not about a trade-off data model vs reasoning, it's about
>> defining a data structure
>> that makes sense.
>
> I'm in.
>

>> I would argue that you are not defining a collection of entities but
>> a collection of uris.
>
> In prov-o, one uses URIs to talk about entities. The URI is a semiotic
> symbol for the referent.
> In prov-n, one uses Value to talk about entities. Those strings are
> also semiotic symbols for the referent.
It's incorrect. In the following:

derivedByInsertionFrom(d1, d0, {("k1", e1), ("k2", e2)})

One uses Value to have a computable index (by computable, I mean given
two values v1 and v2, you can
decide whether v1=v2 or not) and we used qualified names to denote entities.

> When I assert the following prov-o, I am saying that a big ol' bag of
> flesh-n-bones, covered in a robe and gray hair, is a member of today's
> supreme court.
> John is -- not his URI. I could call him right now on the phone. I'm
> not putting some text file or web page into a set. I picked him up and
> set him upon the bench.
> This is symbols and referents.
>
> I am defining a set of entities.
>
>      21  <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/tip/examples/eg-34-us-supreme-court-membership/rdf/eg-34-us-supreme-court-membership.ttl#l21>  :todays-us-supreme-court
>      35  <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/tip/examples/eg-34-us-supreme-court-membership/rdf/eg-34-us-supreme-court-membership.ttl#l35>     prov:hadMember                                             # These would be asserted on a simple (first step)
>
>      36  <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/tip/examples/eg-34-us-supreme-court-membership/rdf/eg-34-us-supreme-court-membership.ttl#l36>        <http://dbpedia.org/resource/John_Glover_Roberts,_Jr.>,

I know that's what you want to do, but I don't think that in practice,
that's what you have
defined because I can't decide equality of entities from entity identifiers.

>> That's exactly why we introduced keys in prov dictionaries, so that
>> we could decide
>> whether something is in dictionary or not.
>
> Meanwhile, Stian is agreeing [1] with those against his own
> CompleteCollection, saying that even with the completeness "boolean",
> he wouldn't really know if it was complete.
> And if it's not complete, then we can't satisfy your "so that we could
> decide whether something is in dictionary or not", since a new _key_
> could come along.
> The problem was just displaced one level, and can't be solved in that
> fashion.
>

> I'm wondering what outstanding issue is in this thread.
> Is it that you do not want to have a
>
>      prov:hadMember with domain Collection and range Entity,
>
> and instead restrain it to:
>
>      prov:hadMember with domain Dictionary and range KeyValuePair
>
> ?
>
> I advocate the former, and think that you want the latter.

Correct.

> Regards,
> Tim
>

> [1]