Re: Changes to prov:Dictionary

Stian,

On Jun 6, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> Without EmptyCollection or CompleteMembership the
> collections/dictionaries are of almost no worth to my use cases,

EmptyCollection remains in the latest PROV-O (so that is not an issue).

It was CompleteMembership that got the ax (this is the topic at hand).

Regarding your use cases, I think it's important to cite Graham's points about uses cases for standards:
http://www.w3.org/mid/4FCEFCB0.4090100@zoo.ox.ac.uk

> as
> all I can say then is that "some of the members are X, Y and Z" - but
> there might also be A, B and C. In Taverna workflows, all collections
> are closed (unless you export provenance before a workflow has
> finished). It is important to know that ALL these genes - and no other
> genes - came back. Just saying "some of these came back" is of less
> value.

Would this use case be handled if Taverna instead leveraged the "additional attributes" that DM already provides?

memberOf(id; c, {(key_1, e_1), ..., (key_n, e_n)}, cplt, attrs)

perhaps a property taverna:isComplete or class taverna:CompleteDictionary ?

> I understand that in RDF if we don't use rdf:List, then statements of
> such completeness are still fairly vague as the lists are not
> terminated and additional tuples could be adding
> members/insertions/removals.

If this can't be handled soundly and properly in PROV-O and OWA, then I don't think we should try (or, fake it).

> However when I make a provenance export of a workflow run, I would
> want to also say something like "These are all the workflow processes
> that ran, and these are all the entities that were created".

> But
> perhaps a more general completeness-claim for an account/bundle is out
> of scope for PROV.

That seems to be the predominant perspective, as people have indicated in various email threads and tracker issues.
With the use of a custom attribute and type ( taverna:isComplete or class taverna:CompleteDictionary ), can you accept removing the special optional parameter on DM's memberOf?

> However, I still don't undertstand what is the problem with saying
> something is an empty collection.

Not an issue. EmptyDictionary is still in there :-)

Thanks!
Tim