Re: PROV-ISSUE-454 (key across relations/objectss): can the same identifier be used for different relations objects [prov-dm-constraints]

I added the remark here:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-constraints.html#entity-activity-disjoint

feel free to rephrase if you're not happy with this.

Tom

2012/7/19 Luc Moreau <l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

> [...]
>> I am not sure it is at the right place.
>>

>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-constraints.html#entity-activity-disjoint
>>

>> Luc
>>

>> On 07/19/2012 10:43 AM, Luc Moreau wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to formulate a constraint to express this.
>>

>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-constraints.html#key-relation2
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Luc
>> On 07/18/2012 10:57 AM, James Cheney wrote:
>>
>> HI,
>>
>>  Again, I don't see the need for an explicit issue about this.
>>
>>  There is currently no constraint enforcing disjointness among different
>> kinds of things/relations.  I see no particular reason to add one (and make
>> implementation harder), unless there is clear consensus that violating such
>> constraints is always nonsensical (and that this isn't detected by other
>> constraints).
>>
>>  We (I thought) want to allow for the possibility that something is both
>> an agent and an entity, or both an agent or an activity, or other
>> combinations.  One could then state that something influences, generates,
>> uses itself etc., but this will just violate ordering constraints that we
>> already have.
>>
>>  I agree it seems nonsensical to allow overlap between different
>> relations, and if so then someone needs to write constraints that do this.
>>
>>  Constraints of the form "if hyp1 .... hypn then FALSE" (i.e., a given
>> conjunctive pattern is impossible" are straightforward to handle: we just
>> handle all the other inferences and constraints first, then check that the
>> normal form does not have any of the forbidden patterns.  (The
>> irreflexivity and asymmetry inferences for specialization already do this
>> implicitly.)
>>
>>  --James
>>
>>  On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Tom De Nies wrote:
>>
>>  The only problem I see with allowing it, is when using influencedBy.
>>
>> With influence you'd be allowed to assert this:
>>
>> agent(a1)
>> activity(a1)
>> influencedBy(a1,a1)
>>
>> - Tom
>>
>>  2012/7/18 Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
>>
>>> PROV-ISSUE-454 (key across relations/objectss): can the  same identifier
>>> be used for  different relations objects [prov-dm-constraints]
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/454
>>>
>>> Raised by: Luc Moreau
>>> On product: prov-dm-constraints
>>>

>>> We have the following two uniqueness constraints.
>>>

>>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-constraints.html#key-object
>>>
>>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-constraints.html#key-relation
>>>
>>> It is not clear to me if
>>>
>>> entity(e123)
>>> agent(e123)
>>>
>>> are acceptable. (To me, they should be, since we don't state the set of
>>> agents to be disjoint from any other set)

>>> and