Re: Membership should be unqualified (Re: PROV-ISSUE-444 (prov-o-to-last-call): Review PROV-O for last call [PROV-O HTML])

As in my review, I'd be happier with this.  A binary membership relation is clear and natural (and lightweight).  We can always add qualifications or inferences (e.g. linking membership to derivation) later if there is strong demand.

For example, we could add a type of derivation called "Membership" and add an inference linking hadMember to wasDerivedFrom(...[prov:type = prov:Membership]).

But if we bake this into the model now then it will be hard to go back later.

--James

On Jul 12, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Dear all, Tim,
>
> After sleeping on this issue, I think there is only one workable outcome:
> Membership should be  a binary relation without associated qualified class.
>
> Context: after F2F3, Dictionaries were dropped from prov-dm, but the n-ary
> membership relation was kept:
> hadMembers(mId, c, {e1, e2, e3}, true, [prov:label="A beautiful collection"])
>
> Recently, Tim re-introduced this relationship in prov-o as a form of Influence.
> There was some push back for membership to be a kind of Derivation. Making it Influence
> and not Derivation would suddenly introduce a new relation in the model we don't
> understand the implications. Not making it an Influence would break the prov-o design.
>
> Some reviewers had suggested to make it binary.  It seems it is the right choice, in
> the circumstances, as the minimum we can agree on, given such a short time.
>
> So, I will implement the changes very shortly.  Please should if there is a problem.
> Tim, ..., sorry to ask, can you revert back to a binary hadMember without associated
> class?
>
> Luc
>

> On 07/11/2012 11:15 PM, Luc Moreau wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> We have a number of possibilities for qualified Membership. None
>> seems particularly good.
>>
>> 1.  Membership is an Influence and a Derivation.
>>      Some F2F3 participants seemed to be against membership as
>>      derivation.
>>
>> 2. Membership is an Influence and not a Derivation
>>
>>      I feel that this is not realistic.  To me, all forms of influence
>>      between two entities are derivations.
>>
>>      It would also be surprising that a concept that was about
>>      to be dropped from the provenance model, is in fact a primitive
>>      form of influence, not expressible differently.
>>
>> 3. Membership is still qualified, but not an Influence.
>>      This would break the prov-o design consistency.
>>
>> 4. Membership should not be qualified.
>>       Some wanted to keep it qualified.
>>
>> 5.  ... drop membership ... timeout!
>>
>> Luc
>>

>> On 11/07/12 21:54, Timothy Lebo wrote:
>>>
>>> Luc,

>>> I think it's reasonable to say that an element of a set influences the set.

>>> To do so will lose a lot of design consistency.

>>> :-/
>>>
>>> -Tim

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.