Re: complementOf -> viewOf: proposed text

Hi Graham, Paolo, all

Given this,  and to allow us to progress on the document, can we, for
now, remove
the transitivity property, and add a note in the document, stating that
the transitivity property is still
under investigation?

Cheers,
Luc

On 01/19/2012 09:27 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
> Hmmm... this is starting to feel to me like a philosophical rathole.
>
> I think we may be muddling things and roles, as maybe illustrated by
> your:
>
>   So similarly I would not like to conclude alternateOf(Bush, Obama)
>
> This feels like a replay of the old Fregian "Hesperus and Phosporus"
> sense and reference discussion.
>
> All this complexity is leading me to a view that while transitivity of
> alternativeOf may be appealing at some levels of intuition, it may
> carry too many traps and, absent a compelling requirement, we'd be
> better to leave it.
>
> Which I think is what Paolo is suggesting.
>
> #g
> --

>>> Hmmm... I'm not sure these actually match my intuition about
>>> alternateOf;
>>> i.e. that they're both versions of some real-world thing.  What