Re: PROV-ISSUE-43 (derivation-time): Deriviation should have associated time [Conceptual Model]

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:51:37 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Hi Paul,

At long last, I have made a proposal for this issue, essentially making
time optional for imprecise derivation. This time is the generation time.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/rev/912069d8f106

I was keen to have a single placeholder for generation time: the
generation record.
This is still the case.

Optional time in imprecise derivation is merely a shortcut as expressed
by the
new rule:
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#derivation-time-elimination

For this to work, we had to have activity optional in generation record.
Hence, we are also addressing ISSUE-205.
Stian's indications was that this was working well in PROV-O.

Once this has been reviewed, I proposed to close both issues.
There will be an extra task to perform: all common relations that
subclass derivation
may now have an optional generation time. This is already exploited by
Paolo when
dealing with collections.

Cheers,
Luc