Re: complementOf -> viewOf: proposed text

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:14:12 +0000
To: Paolo Missier <Paolo.Missier@ncl.ac.uk>
Cc: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 14:31, Paolo Missier <Paolo.Missier@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think of alternateOf as non-functional and transitive, which gives us
> "clusters of alternates". We may later decide that it is convenient to add
> properties that make a set of alternates into a lattice.

No, not transitive.

entity(customerOnRedChair, [prov:location="the red chair in the cafe"])
entity(paoloInCafe)
entity(stianInCafe)
entity(paolo)
entity(stian)

specializationOf(paoloInCafe, paolo)
specializationOf(stianInCafe, stian)

alternateOf(paoloInCafe, customerOnRedChair)
alternateOf(stianInCafe, customerOnRedChair)

but we probably don't want to then infer:
alternateOf(paoloInCafe, stianInCafe)

and certainly not:
alternateOf(paolo, stian)

.. neither did overlap the old characterisation intervals, and are
different 'things' in the world.

however, if Paolo and Stian did not sit anywhere else but in the red
chair, we can also have:

specializationOf(paoloInCafe,
customerOnRedChair)specializationOf(stianInCafe, customerOnRedChair)
this implies that for the duration of paoloInCafe, it was also
customerOnRedChair.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science