PROV-ISSUE-217 (account-asserter): What is the asserter of an account? [prov-dm]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:38:00 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-217 (account-asserter): What is the asserter of an account? [prov-dm]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/217

Raised by: Luc Moreau
On product: prov-dm

The prov-dm document contains the following note, in the account section:

Currently, the non-terminal asserter is defined as IRI and its interpretation is outside PROV-DM. We may want the asserter to be an agent instead, and therefore use PROV-DM to express the provenance of PROV-DM assertions. The editors seek inputs on how to resolve this issue.

Tim, in his design of accounts, is running ahead, making assumptions about the asserter.

So, are we supporting the following proposal:
an Account asserter is an agent.

Following this, a further question follows.
Assuming we have an entity ex:acc representing an account
entity(ex:acc)  // details to be finalized when we understand what identifiers are
and we express some provenance:
wasGenerated(ex:acc,ex:activity)
wasAttributed(ex:acc,ex:agent)

Do we have any restrictions about where these provenance records can occur?
Can they be for instance included inside the account itself?

Or should they necessarily be occurring outside the account?

Thanks,