Re: complementOf -> viewOf: proposed text

James, Luc

Here is Stephen's example from the use cases on the wiki:  http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/File:Statestimescales.png

here luc-at-mit is a specialization of luc-in-boston, with the intended meaning that it "further characterizes" the /description/ of
the /same/ Luc thing.

This means that

- specialization, as James suggests, is indeed about descriptions and therefore not on par with alternateOf, and

- specializationOf(e1, e2) only makes sense on the assumption that alternateOf(e1,e2) holds, that is, that e1, 2, are about the same
thing (Luc in the example).

this makes alternateOf(e1,e2) a necessary condition for specializationOf(e1, e2) to hold.

At the same time, this rules out the semantics we have seen proposed earlier:

alternateOf(e1,e2)  == exists (c) : specializationOf(e1,c) and specializationOf(e2,c)

and instead (IMO) calls for an interpretation domain in which you can express Things and you can say when Things t1, t2 are the same:

alternateOf(e1,e2) only if (or "requires")   I(e1) = I(e2)   where I(e) is the Thing that e characterizes  (sorry James I don't have
your semantics in front of me, you may be saying the same thing)

makes sense?

-Paolo

--
Paolo Missier - Paolo.Missier@newcastle.ac.uk, pmissier@acm.org