PROV-ISSUE-212 (three-vs-two-levels): Shold we distinguish between things, entities and entity records in the semantics or just have entities and entity records [Formal Semantics]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:09:25 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-212 (three-vs-two-levels): Shold we distinguish between things, entities and entity records in the semantics or just have entities and entity records [Formal Semantics]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/212

Raised by: James Cheney
On product: Formal Semantics

Quoting from Luc's email that raised this issue:

>PROV-DM identifies three levels
>   1. things in the world
>   2. entities, which are characterized things
>   3. entity records, which are the records we create as part of a provenance record
>
>  It seems that things are not mentioned in your document. I believe they are
>  important to define specialization/alternates

A number of opinions about this were expressed today.  I'm fairly agnostic - I think the formal semantics can accommodate either three levels (1/2/3) or two (conflating 1 and 2/3).

Discuss.