Re: PROV-ISSUE-183 (prov-dm-identifiers): identifiers in prov-dm [prov-dm]

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 17:27, Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure why this is a requirement. This greatly complicates
> representations in RDF. Rather than saying:
>
> :writingThisEmail prov:wasControlledBy rpi:JimMcCusker.
>
> I would have to say:
>
> :writingThisEmail prov:wasControlledBy :jim.
> :jim prov:identifier rpi:JimMcCusker.

no, rpi:JimMcCusker is already a characterisation of a thing in the
world (you), and hence is also an entity.  You are a person, not a
URI, but rpi:JimMcCusker is one (characterised) way to talk about you
as a person. This characterisation - even if not expressed - will
always be bounded, for instance it probably does not characterize
"you" before you were conceived, and it probably does not include the
car you are driving today.

Basically any existing URI can be said to be an entity, because by
their nature they characterize something. (This is also an argument
that nothing can be disjoint from prov:Entity - but that's a separate
issue)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science