Re: PROV-AQ updates

Olaf,

Thanks again...

On 09/01/2012 17:41, Olaf Hartig wrote:
> Dear Graham,
>
> On Monday 09 January 2012 15:08:38 Graham Klyne wrote:
>> Oleg,
>
>     ( ... Olaf ;-)

Oops, sorry.

[...]
>>> * Sec.3.1.1: "There may be multiple provenance-service link header
>>> fields, and these may appear in the same document as provenance links
>>> ..." -- What does "the same document" refer to? Furthermore, I don't
>>> understand how a provenance-service link may appear as a provenance
>>> link.
>>
>> That's a cut-and-paste error: it should have been "same HTTP response".
>>
>> I'm a little puzzled by the second part of this comment: provenance-service
>> and provenance are separate links.  Is this not clear?
>
> It's clear that provenance-service and provenance are separate links. What I
> wanted to point out was the following: The way the second part of the sentence
> is written, it may be interpreted to says that provenance-service link header
> fields "may appear [somewhere] as provenance link header fields" but what the
> second part of the sentence was meant to say --I guess-- is "provenance-
> service link header fields may appear in _a_ HTTP response _in which also_
> provenance link header fields may appear."  Or maybe even better: "provenance-
> service link header fields may appear in _a_ HTTP response _together with_
> provenance link header fields."

OK, now reads:
[[
There may be multiple provenance-service link header fields, and these may
appear in an HTTP response together with provenance link header fields (though,
in simple cases, we anticipate that provenance and provenance-service link
relations will not be used together).
]]

>> [...]
>>> * Sec.3.3: I assume the RDF properties introduced in this section
>>> (prov:hasProvenance, prov:hasAnchor, and prov:hasProvenanceService) may
>>> not only be used for the resource that is represented as RDF but also
>>> for any resource that the RDF representation describes. If that's true,
>>> we may want to add a corresponding comment to this section (although I
>>> understand that this is not the focus of this section).
>>
>> I added this to the initial paragraph: "(The same RDF terms may be used to
>> indicate provenance of other resources too, but discussion of such usage is
>> beyond the scope of this section.)"
>
> At this point in the text it is not clear what "the same terms" refers to
> (because it is not clear that we introduce terms/properties for this purpose).
> To address this issue, I propose to add the following sentence before the
> brackets:  "For this purpose three new RDF properties, prov:hasProvenance,
> prov:hasAnchor, and prov:hasProvenanceService, are defined in the following.
> (The same properties may ..."

I careless there - thanks for catching it.

Section content now reads:

[[
If a resource is represented as RDF (in any of its recognized syntaxes,
including RDFa), it may contain references to its own provenance using
additional RDF statements. For this purpose three new RDF properties,
prov:hasProvenance, prov:hasAnchor, and prov:hasProvenanceService, are defined
in the following. (These terms may be used to indicate provenance of other
resources too, but discussion of such usage is beyond the scope of this section.)

The RDF property prov:hasProvenance is defined as a relation between two
resources, where the object of the property is a resource that provides
provenance information about the subject resource. Multiple prov:hasProvenance
assertions may be made about a subject resource. This property corresponds to a
"provenance" link relation used with an HTTP Link header field, or HTML <link>
element.

Property prov:hasAnchor specifies an entity-URI used in the provenance
information to refer to the RDF document. This corresponds to use of the
"anchor" parameter in an HTTP "provenance" Link header field, or an "anchor"
link relation in an HTML <link> element, which similarly indicate a URI used by
the provenance information to refer to the described document.

Property prov:hasProvenanceService specifies a service-URIs associated with the
RDF document for possible access to provenance information. This property
corresponds to a "provenance-service" link relation used with an HTTP Link