Re: Update on PROV-O OWL file (Action item 55)

From: Satya Sahoo <satya.sahoo@case.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:36:22 -0500
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Hi Luc,

> It's incorrect, WD3 does not associate time with Entity.
> Section, DM-TPWD:
"An entity generation event is the instantaneous
marks the final instant of an entity's creation timespan, after which
it becomes available for use.

An entity usage event is the instantaneous
marks the first instant of an entity's consumption timespan by an

Section, DM-TPWD:

"This specification only assumes that each instantaneous
event<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-dm-20120202/#dfn-event>can be
mapped to an instant in some form of timeline."

Section 5.3.1, DM-TPWD:

"The following generation assertions

  wasGeneratedBy(e1,a1, 2001-10-26T21:32:52, [ex:port="p1", ex:order=1])
  wasGeneratedBy(e2,a1, 2001-10-26T10:00:00, [ex:port="p1", ex:order=2])

state the existence of two
events<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-dm-20120202/#dfn-event>in the
world (with respective times
2001-10-26T21:32:52 and 2001-10-26T10:00:00), at which new entities,
represented by entity records identified by e1 and e2, are created by an
activity, itself represented by an activity record identified by a1."

Section, DM-TPWD:

"The following usage records

state that the activity, represented by the activity record identified by a1,
consumed two entities, represented by entity records identified by e1 and e2,
at times 2011-11-16T16:00:00 and 2011-11-16T16:00:01, respectively;"

Section 7.1, DM-TPWD:

"wasStartedByAgent-ordering, wasAssociatedWith-ordering" constraints.

Taken together, all the above statements describe association of Entity (or
its subclass Agent) with "event", which is in turn mapped to Time - in
effect, associating Entity with Time (each domain application is free to
decide "what" time).

Also, I believe the DM supports representation of a simple provenance
assertion such as, "The MonaLisa portrait is dated to circa 15031519"
(MonaLisa portrait is an Entity).

On a related note, I guess we need to resolve an outstanding issue of
whether to have a class for Event or Time, but the issue of Entity and
Activity both being associated with Event/Time is clear. Hence, Ivan's
original comment is still unresolved.