Re: Update on PROV-O OWL file (Action item 55)

Hi Ivan,
Thank you for the feedback!

As Stian mentioned, we can address the issue of having union of classes as
domain of the prov:hasTemporalValue property. But as Luc replied the
PROV-DM TPWD associated time information with both Entity and Activity,
which are disjoint. Asserting the domain as owl:Thing is also a RL profile
violation.

The use of a new Element class suggested by Paul also has issues since it
is not clear if the Element class will subsume Entity, Activity,
QualifiedInvolvement -and- Role, Bundle, Role, and Time. If it does not it
will violate the DM TPWD and if it does then it will be equivalent to
owl:Thing.

Some additional comments are inline:

> ie, using a union of classes as part of the domain is not allowed. The
> rules also express this. And, although a layperson in terms of hard core
> logic, I can see why: if a resource is the subject of that property, a
> simple rule engine _cannot_ find out which of the constituents of the union
> it belongs to. Ie, it cannot make any intelligent deduction.
>
> Can you please clarify the above point - reasoners do consistency check
(class with no possible instance) and classification (identify inferred
sub/super class), the above example of inferring class membership seems to
be a RDFS entailment.

> A similar issue arises with:
>
> <owl:Class rdf:about="Time">
>    <owl:equivalentClass>
> I.e., again, we do not have a Union.
>
> This follows from the best practices of creating "defined versus
"primitive" class to enable reasoners to check that time values in PROV can
only be instant or interval. But, we can easily remove this constraint.

We will try to resolve these issues in discussion with DM editors and make
prov-o compliant with RL.

Thanks.

Best,
Satya

I am not sure what this means back in the model that is transcribed into