Re: PROV-ISSUE-188: Section 5.2.3 (PROV-DM as on Nov 28) [prov-dm]

Hi Luc,

>  Of course we can talk about routers.

Exactly - there are many provenance-related scenarios in variety of
application domains. Adding software agent to DM core will make it harder
for users in say clinical research (majority use paper-based record
keeping), bench research developing new vaccine targets (not using
in-silico approaches) etc to adopt the model.

Alternatively, is there a reason not to include both software and hardware
agents? Is there any downside to include hardware agent, which is not there
for software agent?

> But have had a use case, discussed by this wg and including routers?
>
> Not sure what you mean - the wg is not discussing any "official" use case?
We are using anecdotal scenarios to explain PROV constructs and not to
drive creation of new constructs.

There are many biomedical use cases from XG and W3C HCLS group (e.g. mass
spectrometer "hardware" and virus "biological" agents)?

A suggestion is to have two subtypes of agent (loosely from the provenance
vocabulary approach)- biological and non-biological agents (hardware,
software agents, organizations etc.).

What do you think?

Best,
Satya