Re: Element names in prov-xml

Hi Stephan,

I think this is a fine rationale but I also think it needs maybe a couple
sentences of justification.

Also, for the primer, we should think about whether we want to show each
serialisation in parallel as this may cause unwanted comparison.

regards
Paul

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Stephan Zednik <zednis@rpi.edu> wrote:

>  PROV-XML is not an RDF/XML serialization and I believe it would be a
> mistake to create the expectation that it conforms to RDF/XML conventions.
>  Doing so could introduce incorrect assumptions on how PROV-XML maps
> against PROV-O.  PROV-XML was intended as a non-RDF encoding of PROV.  For
> a RDF/XML serialization of PROV use PROV-O.
>
>  I believe we went with camelCase in element names because it conformed
> with PROV-N conventions.  We used PascalCase in complexType names to
> differentiate element and complex type names.  In the schema the
> complexType for entity has name "prov:Entity" and the element you use to
> reference a prov:Entity from the document root has name "prov:entity".
>
>  --Stephan
>
> On Dec 12, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl> wrote:
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>  *Resent-From:* <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
> *From:* Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen@gmail.com>
> *Date:* December 12, 2012, 22:56:42 GMT+01:00
> *To:* "Groth, P.T." <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
> *Cc:* Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
> *Subject:* *Re: Element names in prov-xml*
>
>   On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl> wrote:
>
> I've been having a chat with Egon Willighagen in twitter about the element
> name case in prov-xml. You can see excerpts below. The key question is why
> element names are lower case e.g <prov:entity ...> and not upper case. This
> does not correspond to the convention in rdf/xml plus it looks a bit weird
> when sitting next to the turtle.
>

> The relevant section in the 2004 RDF/XML spec is 2.13 which describes
> the behavior:
>
> "It is common for RDF graphs to have rdf:type predicates from subject
> nodes. These are conventionally called typed nodes in the graph, or
> typed node elements in the RDF/XML. RDF/XML allows this triple to be
> expressed more concisely. by replacing the rdf:Description node
> element name with the namespaced-element corresponding to the RDF URI
> reference of the value of the type relationship."
>
> You can test it with this XML snippet
>
> <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>  xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
>  xmlns:prov="http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#">
>  <prov:entity rdf:about="ex:article">
> <dc:title>Crime rises in cities</dc:title>
>  </prov:entity>
> </rdf:RDF>
>
> here -> http://www.rdfabout.com/demo/validator/
>
> If you 'validate' it, it will also create other formats, showing that
> the above RDF/XML has a rdf:type prov:entity ... that confirms that
> convention.
>
> Section 2.13 is not
>
> Do we have a good explanation for this?
>

> Also note that my RDF/XML snippet uses rdf:about rather than prov:id
> ... I have to check whether rdf:ID or rdf:about is more appropriate,
> but that would be closer to RDF/XML too than prov:id ... but that's a
> separate thing you may want to look at.
>
> Egon

> [...]

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
  Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam