Re: PROV-WG teleconference

From: James Cheney <jcheney@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 18:16:14 +0000
Cc: "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Hi,

I will (probably) miss tomorrow's teleconference also.

Update about PROV-SEM:

I have been working on converting the various rules to LaTeX-style rules to the wiki page:

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/FormalSemanticsED

Most of them are now done; the exceptions are the key constraints and definitions.  I am leaning towards dropping the definitions from the formal model (since they are really about syntactic desugaring) and simplifying the formal model by factoring attributes into a separate relation (or relations, one for each "type", since an id can be both an agent and an entity, with separate attributes in the agent() and entity() statements). Then a lot of attrs parameters go away, and the KEY constraints really are functional dependencies.

It would be helpful if others could have a look at the LaTeX-ified rules in case typos have been introduced.  Also, if anyone that has a better idea about how to convert this into W3C-note-style HTML than brute force, that would be great.  I believe it is realistic to project that the wiki version will be stable by December 19th (when I leave for the holidays), so it would be useful to line up potential reviewers or people to help with conversion now.  I think this work is parallelizable, but it might be a better use of time for me to spend a couple of hours hacking up a simple way to generate the rules from something higher-level, that could be targeted to HTML or TeX or whatever else.

--James

On Dec 4, 2012, at 10:08 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The agenda for this week's teleconference can be found at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2012.12.06
>

> As always, a scribe is required.
>
> Regards,
> Luc
>
> --
> Professor Luc Moreau
> Electronics and Computer Science   tel:   +44 23 8059 4487
> University of Southampton          fax:   +44 23 8059 2865
> Southampton SO17 1BJ               email: l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk
> United Kingdom                     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lavm

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.