Re: PROV-ISSUE-370 (tracedTo-inference-only): Should tracedTo be moved to prov-constraints and be defined as a binary relation that can be inferred [prov-dm]

The potential problem with this is that such an assertion could correspond to many different actual situations.  So, if I send you a PROV instance that says

tracedTo(foo,bar,[confidence=0.5])

and nothing else, what does this mean?  Is it legal to just say tracedTo on its own?  What constraints or inferences apply?

This seems to be a way of expressing metadata/beliefs about provenance data, rather than expressing the data itself.  One could do this as an overlay on PROV without requiring everyone that uses PROV to support it, I think.

--James

On Apr 30, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Paul Groth wrote:

> My concrete use case would be to put things like confidence values on
> these links. For example, in one of our systems we "guess" if there is
> a tracedto and what to put some confidence value on that link. This is
> one of the reasons I like attributes in the model.
>
> We could do this with derivation so it's not a big deal but the nice
> thing is that traced to is transitive...
>
> cheers
> Paul
>

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Do you have a concrete use case, in particular, with attributes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Luc
>>
>> On 04/30/2012 12:17 PM, Paul Groth wrote:
>>> I think traced-to is useful to sometime assert especially in the case
>>> where you want to be very vague about provenance. It's also nice to
>>> have attributes so that you can associate other sorts of information
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> However, if others think it's nicer to be inference only then I won't
>>> be stand in the way.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Paul

>> --
>> Professor Luc Moreau
>> Electronics and Computer Science   tel:   +44 23 8059 4487
>> University of Southampton          fax:   +44 23 8059 2865
>> Southampton SO17 1BJ               email: l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk
>> United Kingdom                     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lavm

> Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
> http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
> Assistant Professor
> Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
> Artificial Intelligence Section
> Department of Computer Science
> VU University Amsterdam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.