Re: PROV-ISSUE-370 (tracedTo-inference-only): Should tracedTo be moved to prov-constraints and be defined as a binary relation that can be inferred [prov-dm]

From: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:17:51 +0200
To: Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
I think traced-to is useful to sometime assert especially in the case
where you want to be very vague about provenance. It's also nice to
have attributes so that you can associate other sorts of information
with it.

However, if others think it's nicer to be inference only then I won't
be stand in the way.

cheers
Paul

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Provenance Working Group Issue
Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
> PROV-ISSUE-370 (tracedTo-inference-only): Should tracedTo be moved to prov-constraints and be defined as a binary relation that can be inferred [prov-dm]

> Raised by: Luc Moreau
> On product: prov-dm
>

> TracedTo was introduced in the data model so as to have a transitive relation over derivations, etc. It can be inferred. In contrast, its definition as an assertion was not very compelling. In the latest version of prov-constraints, it is only defined as something that can be inferred.
>
> Really, it looks like a relation that is useful to express queries.
>
> So, in the spirit of simplification, should we move it out of prov-dm, and have it defined in prov-constraints only.
>
> At the same time, it could be simplified to a binary relation, since we have no way of inferring attributes for this relation.

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam