PROV-ISSUE-368 (no-responsibility-in-derivation): No responsibility in derivation [prov-dm]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:41:23 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
PROV-ISSUE-368 (no-responsibility-in-derivation): No responsibility in derivation [prov-dm]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/368

Raised by: Luc Moreau
On product: prov-dm

We are having ongoing discussion about responsibility in derivations (see ISSUE-357 and ISSUE-352).

In the spirit of simplification, I would like to suggest that agents should not be mentioned in derivation relations.

Instead of
 wasRevisionOf(id,e2,e1,ag,attrs)
we should write
 wasRevisionOf(id,e2,e1,attrs)
 and  wasAttributedTo(e2,ag)

Instead of
 wasQuotedFrom(id,e2,e1,ag2,ag1,attrs)
we should write:
 wasQuotedFrom(id,e2,e1,attrs)
 and  wasAttributedTo(e1,ag1)
 and  wasAttributedTo(e2,ag2)

We are not losing in expressivity, I believe, instead, we decouple components 2 and 3 in the data model.

Furthermore, if we allow optional arguments in derivations,
wasDerivedFrom(id, e2, e1, a, g2, u1, attrs)
they should also be allowed in quotation/original source/revision, to
make these proper subrelations.

Cheers,
Luc