Re: PROV-ISSUE-222 (used-objectproperty): Datatype property for used? [Ontology]

From: Graham Klyne <graham.klyne@zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:53:15 +0100
To: Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu>
CC: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>, "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On 17/04/2012 18:48, Jim McCusker wrote:
> For filenames, I would figure that one should use a file:// URI. Are there
> any reasons not to?

Maybe, but I'm not aware of the full context, so ignore me if this doesn't make
sense.

file:// URIs are interpreted with respect to a specific host environment
(commonly localhost, but can be named).  While it's possible to separately a
denotation, I think it could prove tricky to use this in a global reasoning
environment.

So, if the example is strictly local-use then file://... might be OK, but if the
idea is to create provenance that can be shipped across the web I'd suggest
avoiding file:// URIs.

(This reminds me that there's a proposal for a ni: URI scheme that identifies by
way of cryptographic hash, which might be useful for some aspects of provenance
... http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/decade-3.pdf,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-farrell-decade-ni-04)

#g