PROV-ISSUE-355 (convenient-notation-for-qualified-names): introduce a convenience notation for qualified names [prov-n]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:23:30 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
PROV-ISSUE-355 (convenient-notation-for-qualified-names): introduce a convenience notation for qualified names [prov-n]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/355

Raised by: Luc Moreau
On product: prov-n

PROV-N has a production for typed literals [1].

"1234" %% xsd:Integer
"abc" %% xsd:String

It allows for convenience notation (with stringLiteral and intLiteral)

123
"abc"

Qualified names need to be written as follows:

"ex:Foo" %% xsd:QName

Which is not very pleasant to read.

It is proposed to introduce a convenience notation for qualified names.
The proposal is to use another form of singe quotes for this:

'ex:Foo'

would convenience notation for

"ex:Foo" %% xsd:QName

PS. At the same time, we should allow for more relaxed local names (not necessarily XML QNames).  We should allow prov:qualifiedName in the list of permitted dataytypes in literals.

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-n.html#expression-literal