Re: responsibility and association

Hi Paolo,

I don't understand the problem. Essentially, an agent can be
responsible for an activity and agent can be responsible for the
actions of another agent. Association "grounds out" the responsibility
chain.

cheers
Paul

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Paolo Missier <Paolo.Missier@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the current DM describes both association and accountability using
> "responsibility" in sec. 2.3:
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-dm.html#section-agents-attribution-association-responsibility
>
> This makes the use of the term "responsibility" potentially unclear, namely:
>
> " Agents are defined as having some kind of responsibility for activities. "
> and
> " An activity association is an assignment of responsibility to an agent for
> an activity, indicating that the agent had a role in the activity."
>
> and later:
>
> " Responsibility is the fact that an agent is accountable for the actions of
> a "subordinate" agent, in the context of an activity. "
>
> so the former uses responsibility to define association, without reference
> to other agents, while the latter uses the same term effectively to
> introduce actedOnBehalfOf, which has to do with "chains of responsibility".
>
> I suspect readers may be confused by this. Any thoughts on how to resolve
> this?
>
> -Paolo
>

> --
> -----------  ~oo~  --------------
> Paolo Missier - Paolo.Missier@newcastle.ac.uk, pmissier@acm.org
> School of Computing Science, Newcastle University,  UK
> http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/people/Paolo.Missier

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam