Re: PROV-ISSUE-337 (agent-and-entity): agent should not be a subclass of entity [prov-dm]

From: Curt Tilmes <Curt.Tilmes@nasa.gov>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 07:41:57 -0400
To: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
CC: "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On 04/15/2012 07:32 AM, Paul Groth wrote:
> Following up, it seems that the point would to be to ensure that
> people have to say whether their agent is an entity or activity.
>
> Is that a correct summary?
>
> My feeling is that it's one of the three core classes and should be
> able to stand on its own but in order to describe an agents provenance
> you need to make it either an entity or an activity.

I'm suggesting that agents should be just entities and not activities.

I'd like to see a good case where an activity is an agent.

In the proposed "collaboration" example, I agree with Simon that
the collaborating group that is the agent is distinct from the
collaboration activity performed by that group.

Curt