Re: Different senses of specialization

I think a lot of this would make more sense, and significantly simplify the
definitions in PROV-DM, if the attribute-value pairs that are mentioned in
the PROV-CONSTRAINTS entity definition are included in PROV-DM from the
very start.

The fact that we are questioning our definition of the most basic component
of the data model at this stage, near completion, is a clear indication
that we are over-engineering this somewhat. Upon reading the constraints, I
also found it to be strange that suddenly a new definition of entity is
given.

I thought the DM WD4 definition was quite clear:

> *Entities are things in the world one wants to provide provenance for.
> For the purpose of this specification, things can be physical, digital,
> conceptual, or otherwise; the world may be real or imaginary.*

 Add to this the further refinement of the constraints:

> *An entity is a thing one wants to provide provenance for and whose
> situation in the world is described by some attribute-value pairs. An
> entity's attribute-value pairs are specified when the entity description is
> created and remain unchanged.*

And you get this:

> *An entity is a thing one wants to provide provenance for and whose
> situation in the world is described by some attribute-value pairs. **For
> the purpose of this specification, things can be physical, digital,
> conceptual, or otherwise. **An entity's attribute-value pairs are
> specified when the entity description is created and remain unchanged.*

This further simplifies the definition of alternateOf and specializationOf.
Then I would propose something like this:

alternateOf: *Two entities are alternates if they are the same thing, but
their situation in the world is described by different attribute-value
pairs. *

specializationOf: *An entity is a specialization of another entity if they
are the same thing, and the description of the situation in the world of
the former includes all of the attribute-value pairs of the latter, and at
least one more.*

That also eliminates some discussion about transitivity/reflexivity, since
we would then have a concrete, measurable definition.

Of course this is only a suggestion, and I could be missing something here.

Best regards,
Tom
---
Tom De Nies
Ghent University - IBBT
Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
Department of Electronics and Information Systems - Multimedia Lab
Gaston Crommenlaan 8 bus 201, B-9050 Ledeberg-Ghent, Belgium

e: tom.denies@ugent.be