Re: Best practice for specialization

From: Tom De Nies <tom.denies@ugent.be>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 10:33:02 +0200
To: Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu>
Cc: "Miles, Simon" <simon.miles@kcl.ac.uk>, Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
I agree with Jim, that option 2 would be the safer option here.

Since we are discussing best practices, I would assume that the best
practice would be to account for these "unexpected' events. If a document
is able to change, even when it is not expected to, one should always
provide the possibility to retain a correct provenance account.

As you said, option 2 retains the correctness of the original account
provided with :doc, and increments it with the version-specific provenance.
I think it is indeed a good idea to include this in the primer.

Tom De Nies
Ghent University - IBBT
Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
Department of Electronics and Information Systems - Multimedia Lab
Gaston Crommenlaan 8 bus 201, B-9050 Ledeberg-Ghent, Belgium

t: +32 9 331 49 59
e: tom.denies@ugent.be