Issue 89 - why?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 08:07:14 +0100
To: W3C provenance WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
I've been reading some of the discussion of Issue 89:

which seems to my mind be getting rather like a counting of angels-on-pinheads,
and I wonder if we're not in danger of over-ontologizing here.

Going back to the original issue, I see:

The conceptual model defines an entity in terms of an identifier and a list of
attribute-value pairs. It is indeed crucial for the asserter to identify the
attributes that have been frozen in a given entity.

Why is it so crucial to identify what attributes have been frozen?

What practical application of provenance is prevented is we don't require this?