Re: about EntityInRole and assumedBy

Just to clarify, I believe the alternative I'd suggested (which Khalid gives in proper Turtle/RDF notation below) is similar to that in OPM-O, which had Used as a class rather than a property.  I'm not claiming to have come up with this on my own, I'm sure I had seen the OPM-O treatment and inadvertently reinvented it.

My main question is, is that approach more palatable than the EntityInRole approach?  If not, what alternative would be a better fit for the current PROV-DM?

--James

On Oct 26, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Khalid Belhajjame wrote:

> Hi Luc, all,
>
> We are aware of the problems that EntityInRole is introducing. Following your comments in last emails, we are contemplating a new alternative, that was suggested by James, which seems to be inline with the PROV-DM. Not all members of the ontology group have expressed their opinion yet, though.
>
> The idea is to have two owl classes Usage and Generation. These two classes are connected to Entity and Process Execution (using object properties), and qualifiers, such as role, can be defined as object properties of Usage and Generation. For example, Usage can be defined as:
>
> prov:Usage a owl:Class.
>
> prov:hasEntity
>    a rdf:Property ;
>    rdfs:domain prov:Usage ;
>    rdfs:range prov:Entity .
>
> prov:hasProcessExecution
>    a rdf:Property ;
>    rdfs:domain prov:Usage ;
>    rdfs:range prov:ProcessExecution .
>
> prov:hasRole
>    a rdf:Property ;
>    rdfs:domain prov:Usage ;
>    rdfs:range prov:Role .
>
> Additionally, to be closer to the model, we can define shortcuts properties: used and wasGeneratedBy as object properties that connect process execution and entities. For example,
>
> prov:used
>    a rdf:Property ;
>    rdfs:domain prov:ProcessExecution ;
>    rdfs:range prov:Entity .
>
> There is at least one issue that we are aware of using this design, but IMO, it is better.
>
> khalid
>
> On 26/10/2011 16:22, Luc Moreau wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to reiterate again my concern about the mismatch between
>> prov-dm and prov-o. I think the two notions the documents diverge on are
>> entityInRole (a subclass of Entity) and assumedBy (which in essence is
>> a kind of specialization of wasComplementOf).
>>
>> They are introduced in the ontology to be able to express time and qualifiers
>> (including role) for use and generation.
>>
>> It is suggested by JamesC and Graham that we write examples to understand the
>> differences, it is a very good point that I support.
>>
>> I would like to explain the problem I have with the EntityInRole solution.
>>
>> Let's take the case of a used relation (ideas apply similarly to generation).
>> Let's imagine there is no qualifier/time information.
>> We want to be simple, and express a property, as prov-o does:
>>
>> Encoding1:
>>  pe prov:used e1
>>
>> If we suddently have time information or role, according to prov-o, we would have to write:
>>
>> Encoding2:
>>
>> pe prov:used e1X
>> e1X  prov:assumedBy e1
>> e1X  prov:assumedAt t1
>> e1X  prov:assumedRole r
>>
>> My problems are the following:
>>
>> - Encoding2 is not an extension of encoding1: it  does not just add new edges,
>>  it removes some.
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.