Re: Prov-o call on Monday 12:00noon US ET

On 24/10/2011 21:45, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Hi Khalid, Daniel and Stian,
>
> What have we gained with this entityInRole? you now seem to have
> ended up with two different entities in role, for the same entity? How
> are they related?
Two entities in role that have the same characterizing attribute
represent the same entity.

> So, what is the point to be incompatible with the data model, if you
> are not achieving
> the idea of connecting a process execution to an entity directly with
> a property.

If we are to directly connect entity to process execution using an
object property, say used, then we won't be able to associate qualifiers
to used.

> In fact, you have created a new class EntityInRole, and introduced a
> new instance, instance of entityInRole,
> like you would have had to introduce a class Used, and an instance of
> it, for each used property that requires
> time/qualifer/etc.
Yes, I agree with this observation. In fact, I don't think there is an
elegant solution here. To be able to associate qualifiers such as role
to used, we will need to create a class. We chose to create
EntityInRole, the other alternatives is to create a class used, or to
create a subclass of ProcessExecution and call it UsedProcessExecution.
Among these alternatives, the one that is most in line with the data
model is perhaps to create the Used class, which people do not like
since it means modeling an n-ary relationship as a class.

PS: note that the name EntityInRole was chosed as name when the only
qualifier that was associated to use in the data model was role.
Probably a better name for it now would be EntityInUse.

Thanks, khalid