Re: Prov-o call on Monday 12:00noon US ET

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:44:21 +0100
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: public-prov-wg@w3.org
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:07, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> That's exactly the point, time is associated with generation/use, not
> entities.

But as we have not (as of yet) made a deliberate n-ary relationship
Generation or Use class in PROV-O - so prov:wasGeneratedAt is
associated with an Entity (as it can only be generated once within an
account) and prov:assumedRoleAt with an EntityInRole (as it can only
be prov:wasASsumedBy one Entity).

To be fair this is not a direct mapping with PROV-DM, because it would
allow the same entity-in-role to be prov:used by two different PEs -
the prov:assumedRoleAt would only record time of the first such use.
On the other hand a PE could actually be using the entity several
times, and we don't have a way to record each of these unless we do it
as separate roles each time. (And still can't capture the duration of
the use)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science