Re: PROV-ISSUE-114 (Tlebo): is prov:wasDerivedFrom rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:dependedOn? [Formal Model]

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:55:02 +0100
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
> However - dependedOn is transitive - but wasDerivedFrom is not. Can
> you be a subproperty and loose the transitivity?

(Did anyone else answer this?)

Yes, I think so.

Suppose we have ex:greater and ex:succ defined on numbers.

   two ex:greater one
   three ex:greater two
   three ex:greater one

   two ex:succ one
   three ex:succ two

   etc.

So ?a ex:succ ?b => ?a ex:greater ?b

Thus satisfying the necessary requirement for claiming
   ex:succ rdfs:subPropertyOf ex:greater
per http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-mt-20020429/#rdfs_interp
[[
If <x,y> is in IEXT(I(rdfs:subPropertyOf)) then IEXT(x) is a subset of IEXT(y)
]]

But it's fairly easy to see that ex:greater is transitive where ex:succ is not.

#g