PROV-ISSUE-115 (Tlebo): prov:preceded should be replaced with prov:followed [Formal Model]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 13:56:37 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-115 (Tlebo): prov:preceded should be replaced with prov:followed [Formal Model]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/115

Raised by: Timothy Lebo
On product: Formal Model

All other predicates are pointing from the newer rdfs:Resource to the older rdfs:Resource (e.g. prov:wasDerivedFrom).

This "backwards looking" paradigm makes sense because we need to describe newer things in terms of the older things sitting around.

prov:preceded is inconsistent with this paradigm, as it "looks forwards" to the newer one, which may not exist yet.

I recommend we REPLACE prov:preceded with prov:followed and reverse the definition. To keep the ontology trim, we should leave the definition of prov:followed's inverse to an extension.