Re: ISSUE-110: Renaming prov:Role -> prov:EntityInRole

Stian and Khalid,

I think qualifying prov:Role to prov:EntityInRole makes sense.

I've written the OWL component:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/tip/ontology/components/EntityInRole.ttl

and reused the Toyota purchase example from previous threads to illustrate how it can be used:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/tip/ontology/components/EntityInRole/car-purchase.ttl

The example uses two new example extension ontologies:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/tip/ontology/examples/ontology-extensions/vehicle/vehicle.ttl

to extend prov:Entity to describe a vehicle with make, model, vin, and owner.

and

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/file/tip/ontology/examples/ontology-extensions/commerce/commerce.ttl

to extend prov:ProcessExecution to describe a Purchase between a Buyer and Seller, using some form of Payment and ReceivedGoods.

Note that the extension ontologies allow me to simply rdf:type the prov:Entity prov:used by the prov:ProcessExecution:

    42    prov:used [
    43       a commerce:Buyer;
    44       prov:assumedBy <http://data.semanticweb.org/person/luc-moreau>;
    45       a prov:EntityInRole, prov:Entity; # Since :Buyer subClassOf EntityInRole.
    46    ];

the prov:assumedRole is "filledIn" by inference, while non-inferencing applications can just use the rdf:type directly (e.g. Buyer).

Please let me know if you have any concerns with this modeling.

Regards,
Tim