Re: PROV-ISSUE-105: 5.3.1 Generation (current version of the conceptual model document) [Conceptual Model]

Two PROV-O examples of examples proposed below.

-Tim

On Nov 7, 2011, at 6:29 AM, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Hi Satya,
>
> On 09/28/2011 05:16 PM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>> PROV-ISSUE-105: 5.3.1 Generation (current version of the conceptual model document) [Conceptual Model]

>> Raised by: Satya Sahoo
>> On product: Conceptual Model
>> .

>> ..
>
>> 4. If two process executions sequentially set different values to some attribute by means of two different generate events, then they generate distinct entities.
>>
>> Issue: This is an incorrect statement. Setting values of an entity at different points of time cannot be equated to generating new entities. For example, we don't generate a new human being everytime a PE changes the value of their age. pe1 sets Person X age = 5 years in 2005 and pe2 sets Person X age = 10 years in 2010 then they are not generating new person (within an account or across accounts).
>>

> Remember that an entity is a perspective on a thing.
> So, here, we can have multiple perspectives:
>
> e1 Luc
> e2 Luc at age=5
> e3 Luc at age=10
>
> e3 and e2 have a same attribute name age, but different values. So they must be different entities,i.e. perspectives, over human being e1.

I've encoded this in PROV-O at

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/PROV_OWL_ontology_component_examples#Quoting_some_text_in_an_email_archived_on_the_web

>> 5. Alternatively, for two process executions to generate an entity simultaneously, they would require some synchronization by which they agree the entity is released for use; the end of this synchronization would constitute the actual generation of the entity, but is performed by a single process execution.Given an entity expression denoted by e, two process execution expressions denoted by pe1 and pe2, and two qualifiers q1 and q2, if the expressions wasGeneratedBy(e,pe1,q1) and wasGeneratedBy(e,pe2,q2) exist in the scope of a given account, then pe1=pe2 and q1=q2.
>>
>> Issue: If two sculptors collaborate on creating a human figurine statue entity e1: sculptor A by PE pe1 creates the arms and legs of e1 and sculptor B by PE pe2 creates the head and upper-body part of e1 then both pe1 and pe2 create e1. They may or may not be synchronized. How can we infer that pe1 = pe2 (whether in one account or across accounts)?
>>

> I think you've articulated well the case that A and B create different parts.  If they do this at different times, you will have
> statue without head, statue with head without leg, statue with head with leg.

I've encoded this example at

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/PROV_OWL_ontology_component_examples#Building_a_statue_example