Re: prov-dm derivation: three proposals to vote on (deadline Wednesday midnight GMT)

Hi Luc,

I'd be happy to support that proposal.

The definition of the transitive relation seems good. Name:
hasBackdrop, includesInHistory, hasPastLinkTo?

Yes, as you say, I think the only difference between wasDerivedFrom
and wasBasedOn is that the former is used where you wish to express
what activity the derivation was due to, while the latter implies
nothing about activities (and so may be due to many).

Thanks,
Simon

On 16 November 2011 14:52, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Simon and Stian,
>
> In light of this discussion, I feel we could come to the following
> proposals.
>
> 1.  Subsection on derivation would define two relations only.
>    wasDerivedFrom: linked to 1 activity only
>    wasBasedOn (used to be called wasEventuallyDerivedFrom):  linked to
> unspecified number of activities
>
>     wasDerivedFrom is a special case of wasBasedOn in the following sense:
>     wasDerivedFrom(e2,e1) implies wasBasedOn(e2,e1)
>

>     Both wasDerivedFrom and wasBasedOn are non-transitive.
>     Indeed, we can find examples where transitivity does not make sense.
>
> 2. A new section introducing a transitive relation
>     computed as a transitive closure over:
>         wasControlledBy
>         wasComplementOf
>         wasBasedOn
>     Not sure what its names, but should capture the idea of being in
> the history of the subject.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Simon, wasBasedOn/wasEventuallyDerivedFrom: is it right to say that the
> only difference between
> wasBasedOn and wasDerivedFrom is that the latter is associated to one
> and only one activity, while
> the former may be associate to many (and their number may be unknown).
>
> Luc
>

> On 11/13/2011 06:03 PM, Simon Miles wrote:
>> Stian,
>>
>> OK, that makes sense to me. I'd not thought about hadParticipant, but
>> I can see it gives the most general transitive weak semantics.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Simon
>>
>> On 13 November 2011 14:05, Stian Soiland-Reyes
>> <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>  wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, I confused myself.. I was thinking of hadParticipant()
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-dm/#expression-Participation
>>>
>>> to cover both use, control, and other influencing participation, in
>>> addition to covering wasComplementOf() relations.
>>>

>>> So to rephrase:
>>>
>>> wasBasedOn(A,B) is transitive and can be inferred iff:
>>>
>>> wasGeneratedBy(A, pe0)
>>> hadParticipant(pe0, B)
>>>
>>>   -or-
>>>
>>> wasGeneratedBy(A, pe0)
>>> hadParticipant(pe0, x)

--
Dr Simon Miles
Lecturer, Department of Informatics

Provenance-based Validation of E-Science Experiments:
http://eprints.dcs.kcl.ac.uk/1268/