Re: prov-dm derivation: three proposals to vote on (deadline Wednesday midnight GMT)

Hi Luc,

> I don't see why wasEventuallyDericedFrom can't be transitive?

Do you mean an instance or in general? If you mean in general, then
for example, the webpage in the example was derived from the sketch,
which was a pencil drawing on a sheet of paper. The sketch then was
derived from the pencil. But the webpage was not derived from the
pencil, as it would have been the same if the sketch was written in
pen.

> It's also unclear how you decide between wasEventuallyDericed and dependendOn?

I'm not sure the kind of decision procedure you're looking for, but I
might go for:

A wasEventuallyDerivedFrom B if B being different would have meant A
was different.
If B was used in a process that generated an entity, C, and A
wasEventuallyDerivedFrom C or A dependedOn C, then A dependedOn B.

Thanks,
Simon

--
Dr Simon Miles