RE: prov-dm expression: a proposal to vote on (deadline Wednesday midnight GMT)

OK - I see the issue - calling them human assertions and logic/machine assertions might be a way to make it less confusing, but there's clearly a community where assertion and inference are technical terms for non-overlapping things.

Thanks,
Jim

From: Luc Moreau [mailto:l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:30 AM
To: Myers, Jim
Cc: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: prov-dm expression: a proposal to vote on (deadline Wednesday midnight GMT)

Hi Jim,
The term 'assertion' was not chosen because some records may be asserted, others inferred.
... inferred assertion ... is awkward.
Luc

On 02/11/2011 12:27, Myers, Jim wrote:
+0. Record is probably closer to the idea that these are assertions (has entity assertion, 'xyz' assertion been discussed as an option?) than expression. I don't particularly like record for the other connotations it brings in (provenance record is everything and we have that record containing other records this way), but is assertion or other better term is not available, record or statement sounds better than expression.

Jim