Re: PROV-ISSUE-1 (define-resource): Definition for concept 'Resource' [Provenance Terminology]

Hello Simon, Graham,

I regard indeed talking about immutable things as a good starting point. If we take this, I have no problems.

However, the consequence is that Information Resources cannot undergo change, otherwise they become undefined.
In other terms, their state must be is fixed to their identity.
  So, provenance of an information resources becomes a chain of derivation, whereas provenance of a physical object
can imply changes of state without change of identity, such as the etching plates of Rembrandt and the Bartsch numbers
for their states.

So, I am happy with "immutability" as upper definition, as long as we are aware that some necessary properties
for Provenance will differ significantly for material things, as Graham points out.

A concept like "freedom" or "sparrow" may also be regarded as being not immutable, due to the lack of
identifiable substance, multiplicity of opinions about their substance and fluctuations of meaning. A good reason to exclude concepts.

Talking about anything that can be identified I believe is insufficient, because this implies things like
the processes themselves we talk about.

Martin

                                |  Email: martin@ics.forth.gr |