Re: PROV-ISSUE-7 (define-derivation): Definition for Concept 'Derivation' [Provenance Terminology]

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:17:49 +0100
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

Dear all,

Over the last week, we debated the notion of resource (PROV-ISSUE-1),
one of the concepts identified in the charter as core to a provenance
data model. It would be good to discuss the notion of derivation.

Do we agree with the illustration of derivation [1]:
in the example, chart c1 is a derivation of data set d1.
Are there other interesting illustrations?

Is derivation relating resources/resource representations/resource
representation states?

Cheers,
Luc

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/CharterConceptsIllustration