Re: PROV-ISSUE-1 (define-resource): Definition for concept 'Resource' [Provenance Terminology]

Hi,

On 24/05/2011 09:43, Luc Moreau wrote:

> As a follow on to my previous message on resources, the wiki page [1]
> also makes the distinction between a resource, a resource state, a
> resource state representation.
>
> What is provenance going to be about?
> a. provenance of a resource?
> b. provenance of a resource state?
> c. provenance of a resource state representation?
>
> Does it make sense to talk about a? b? c?
> If so, what kind of "provenance statement" would be involved in a? b? c?

I am quite happy with the concepts of "resource", "resource state" and
"resource state representation". Their meaning is quite clear and the
room for confusion is small.
That said, if we adopt these three concepts, the provenance in most
cases will be about "resource state" or "resource state representation".
"Resource" will be more of an abstract concept, unless the resource in
question is immutable. So to answer the above question, to me, most
provenance queries will be of types "b" and "c".

Thanks, khalid