Re: PROV-ISSUE-1 (define-resource): Definition for concept 'Resource' [Provenance Terminology]

Luc Moreau wrote:

> As a follow on to my previous message on resources, the wiki page [1]
> also makes the distinction between a resource, a resource state, a
> resource state representation.
>
> What is provenance going to be about?
> a. provenance of a resource?
> b. provenance of a resource state?
> c. provenance of a resource state representation?
>
> Does it make sense to talk about a? b? c?
> If so, what kind of "provenance statement" would be involved in a? b? c?
>
> Cheers,
> Luc
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Provenance_and_Web_Architecture

I think it makes sense to talk about (a) and (c), but not generally about (b).

My rationale for this is that (b) is an intermediate construct that is used to
explain the linkage between (a) and (c), but in general (as far as I'm aware)
has no visibility exposed via Web architecture other than (c).

Example.

Suppose we have an RDF file describing zebras:
    (r1) http://example.com/zebras.rdf

which contains statements referring to URIs
    (r2) http://example.com/zebras/#zebra1
    (r3) http://example.com/zebras/#zebra2

Provenance information about (r1) would be an instance of (c) - noting that in
this case it would relate to the state of multiple resources.

Provenance information about the referents of (r2) and (r3) would be an instance
of (a) - where they were born, who were their parents, etc.

(I can imagine situations in which one explicitly constructs and identifies a
notion of resource state (e.g the state of health of a zebra), but I'd see that
as a special case constructed by an application, not part of the general Web
model.  But even in such a case, what would it mean to refer to the provenance
of an animals state of health, as opposed to a record (representation) of its
state of health?)