Re: concept illustrations for the data journalism example

Hi Paul,

Maybe I misspoke; I wasn't implying any criticism.  The example itself
is fine.

The description of processing steps and questions seems to be a prose
form of the graph which seemed to correspond to the OPM way of
describing things.  I think this is quite natural too, but from the
discussion Thursday I got the impression that not everyone agrees.

If there is further disagreement about the language used to describe
"processing steps" and "provenance questions" or the mapping of the
concepts, then I would like to see concrete counterproposals rather
than people simply saying that "language X has a different/better way
of doing it" without giving details.

It probably isn't necessary that the counterproposals be formulated in
terms of a current language, but I don't see why it would hurt, as
long as anyone who wants to is free to contribute.

If everyone is happy with the current example and illustrations, then
I am too and there is no problem - I may have jumped the gun in this
discussion myself.

--James

On May 10, 2011, at 12:34 PM, Paul Groth wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I thought it would be good to see if we can agree on an example and
> the illustrations of the concepts from the charter.
>
> I'm wary of bringing in any current languages in at this stage
> because of the confusion it caused last week. I just worry that it
> jumps the gun.
>
> I would like to know how the example has an OPM flavour. I wrote it
> to be generic but I may have subconscious bias. Can you let me know
> how we can change it to ensure it doesn't imply anything?
>
> However, if others in the group want to pursue this that's fine with
> me.
>
> Paul
>

> James Cheney wrote:
>> Hi Paul and others,
>>
>> I meant to respond earlier to expand on what I meant by "examples" in
>> the telecon on Thursday (and because I will unfortunately miss this
>> Thursday's).
>>
>> I think the example and concept illustrations are a good starting
>> point.
>> I agree that it's good to employ high-level examples and document how
>> the examples illustrate the concepts, but I think it would really
>> help
>> me (and perhaps others) to have concrete examples of how the
>> different
>> current proposals would handle examples like the data journalism
>> one, so
>> that any disagreement can be discussed in concrete terms.
>>
>> For example, the original "data journalism example" included an OPM-
>> like
>> graph and discussion that made it fairly clear how the example
>> would be
>> handled in an OPM style. During the telecon, I think Paulo was
>> arguing
>> that other languages such as PML would interpret various terms
>> differently, leading to a different interpretation of the concepts. I
>> think the current example/illustration also has this flavor, so I
>> would
>> like to see what would change if a PML or other style were used
>> instead.
>>
>> I don't pretend to be an expert on any of the provenance
>> languages/vocabularies being considered so far (my work has been
>> mostly
>> on provenance in databases, where there is a lot more variability
>> between different techniques). Are there people who are experts on
>> other
>> techniques (PML, Provenir, Provenance Vocabulary) who could add
>> examples
>> of how they'd handle the data journalism example to the wiki? I don't
>> mid trying to do so myself, but as a non-expert on the other
>> techniques
>> it is not clear that what I would come up with would be useful.
>>
>> --James
>>
>> On May 10, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Paul Groth wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All:

> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.