PAQ "holistic" view - an example

From: Graham Klyne <graham.klyne@zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:48:41 +0100
To: W3C provenance WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
All,

As I seem to repeatedly advocate a more lightweight, holistic approach to
pulling together material for our specifications (e.g.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-wg/2011Jun/0316.html), I thought
it might help if I could offer an example of what I mean.

With this in mind, I have assembled a possible outline of a PAQ specification.
This is (emphatically) not intended to preempt the working group's
decision-making process, but I'm hoping that an illustration of the kind of
end-result we might be trying to create could help to keep the discussions more
focused.  My sample can be seen at:

http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/pub/2011/provenance/ReSpec/provenance-access.html

I don't think any of the mechanisms proposed are controversial, and (considering
the charter) might be expected to appear in any likely use of provenance on the
web.  Further, I think this simple outline of specific technical mechanisms
covers most if not all of the usage scenarios that have been brought up in
discussion.  I'm not claiming this is a complete solution, but I think it will
be far easier to meaningfully discuss challenging scenarios against the
background of a specific framework and adjust the framework as necessary.  I
think it will also be easier to talk constructively about what should and should
not be in scope.

#g